I realize it has been way too long since I posted! What with returning from New York, being involved with my sister's wedding, and life in general, it has escaped me. I could say a lot about a lot of things that have been going on, but I think pictures perhaps tell the best story. Particularly for the wedding, the best place to look is Jill's beautiful pictures at the temple. I can't take any credit except for being in one or two of them. However, to amuse probably no one but myself I am following in the footsteps of the one and only melissamerica (thanks for the idea!). I don't know why I feel like this list needs a disclaimer, but I have to say the scriptures are excluded from the list because they fit into many catergories here--most especially number 1. So, here goes :
1. One book that changed your life: The Peacegiver by James Ferrell.
2. One book that you have read more than once: Laddie by Gene Stratton Porter. This is such a great children's book! It hails from the era of innocence, and I love it.
3. One book you would want on a desert island: David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. Yup, I could read that one over and over again.
4. One book that made you laugh out loud: Eats, Shoots, and Leaves by Lynne Truss. It's true. The inner (or not so inner) pedant comes out.
5. One book that made you cry: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. I have to admit I had tears streaming down my cheeks at the end.
6. One book you wish had been written: So many books by the early members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. There is so much personal thought and reaction of those faithful people we just don't have written down.
7. One book you wish had never been written: Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. I can't stand that book.
8. One book you are currently reading: Just one? No. Adam Bede by George Eliot, Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling by Richard Bushman,Sesame and Lilies by John Ruskin, 1776 by David McCullough, and Learning in the Light of Truth by Merrill J. Bateman. Yeah, I'm determined to get through them all!
9. One book you have been meaning to read: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. It will happen one of these days.
3 comments:
Way to post, girl. I have to confess that I stole the idea from someone else.
1. I also operate on the no-scripture assumption as well when discussing favorite books(notwithstanding a necessary reference on my own list)
2. I never knew you were such a Dicken's fan.
3. Tess made me absolutely livid.
4. Let me know about Rough Stone. I'm interested.
5. Just finished 1776 earlier this year. Highly educational.
6. You taking an Institute class this year?
Cool idea with the books thing--it would be fun to do with movies too. I may have to try that sometime in the future.For now I did the book list on my blog. And thanks for the shout-out about my pics.
Melissa, thanks for agreeing--especially on Tess. If anything ever screamed despair and no hope, that did. I love Dickens. He's probably my favorite author.
Jill, that's a great idea about the movies. But where to start? There are so many good ones to choose from (and bad ones to make fun of)!
Post a Comment