Thursday, September 27, 2007

the fam and grommets

So, the fam has a new website: www.ididntcometoeat.com. It's a great place. Now, you non-family readers (are there any of you out there?), let me explain. You may be wondering, "why in the world would they choose 'I didn't come to eat' as their url?" Well, let me give a little background. It helps to understand this great family I'm genetically tied to. Ever since I can remember, my family has gone down to a small town in central Utah every summer to spend some time. It's where my grandfather grew up. My great uncle, my grandfather's brother was also down there frequently and later, he and his wife lived down there. Well, my great uncle often came to visit while we were there, but he always came, curiously around mealtime--whether it be breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Well, we always invited him to eat with us, but his reply was always, "Well, I didn't come to eat." He would then proceed to accept the invitation and break bread with us. That's exactly how it went ever time, and it was a very endearing, yet predictable event.
Well, upon further discussion, as my family often discusses such odd and random topics, we realized that whenever we get together, we actually do come to eat. There is always food, and it's usually the center focus of the get together. So, no one denys it these days. But the fact remains that the story is one of those things that we all find enormously humorous even today.
In other (although probably not more interesting) news, I'm going to my first official crop tomorrow. What's a crop, you ask? Yeah, I didn't know until a few months ago. It's a party where a bunch of people get together and scrapbook. Just ask Christy (thanks for the list of acronyms, hah. It's so true!), this whole scrapbooking industry is a world all its own. My coworkers and I are going to scrapbook and chat with others--they are the audience for the magazine, so it's good to get their perspective. But that's just it--we're going to scrapbook with them. That will be interesting. So, I guess I'll be packing up my patterned paper, ribbon, grommet tool (I still don't know how that thing works) for one big barrel of laughs tomorrow! It'll be fun. Maybe I'll actually get a page or two scrapbooked!

One past postscript: I realize this blog is very ugly. I keep experimenting with the templates available, and have decided I need to customize it. One of these days, I'll have enough time to do that. Really, I promise.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for food and scrapbooking! It was so fun to see you last night if only for a brief moment. I, myself, used to be neck-deep in the scrapbooking world. I worked at the PIMP (my favorite term for Pebbles in my Pocket) for like almost 3 years while I was in school. Weird. By the way, wherever food is, there I will be also. Love you lots! Have fun at your crop.

Marissa Marie said...

You need to tell me how to customize as well. I don't know...

caron said...

Maurianne, you are hilarious. Best of luck with the scrapbookers. My favorite stories involve the celebrities. Maybe you can fabricate a sighting to liven things up....

Christy said...

So...how many pages did you get done? :)

Mauri said...

how many did I get done? I actually got three done! Wow, amazing I know. It was quite an experience. Brooke, all I have to say is, that's hilarious. I'm in love with your acronym. I wonder if they thought of that when they came up with the name. Hah. Caron, alas, there weren't any celeb sightings. Although, I have to admit that when it came out that I was a CK editor, the two women I was chatting with immediately wanted to know my name and what I had worked on in the most recent issue. They'll figure out soon enough I don't exactly fall in the celeb category. Gotta love this industry. :)