Just Call Me June
So, rather than write the obligatory "new year" post, I've decided to post about something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I've decided I was born many years too late. In fact, I would have loved to be June Cleaver. Now, before anyone who reads this makes some comment on the oppressive gender politics of the 1950s, let me clarify, that I would love it from what it appears to be on the surface (and I think a few people are a little out of control when it comes to assuming the life of a 1950s housewife was always terrible). Besides June Cleaver's ability to solve any problem in 30 minutes or less (remember when Beaver discovered he actually liked Brussel sprouts?)--no comments on my inability to grasp reality--there is a lot to be desired. From a fashion perspective, it would be fantastic--wearing "everyday" dresses and "Sunday" dresses. How wonderful to not only wear hats because it was socially acceptable but to wear them because they were expected. And then there are the aprons. Just look at this!

Oh, to have an excuse to have more than one of these in bright, colorful patterns. (More cute aprons of this variety can be found here.)
Now, before I proceed, I understand that the grass is always greener, but there's something quite appealing about the domestic arts--the feeling that you have something to show for your efforts: a clean home, a handmade quilt, etc. Perhaps it's just that I think it would be wonderful to actually go grocery shopping at 10:00 in the morning instead of 10:00 at night, or to go to the bank before it closes, (I never understood why they couldn't stay open until at least 6:30 or 7:00.) or to have the time and energy to actually cook dinner in the evening. Or perhaps it's that I really was born 50 years too late.
17 comments:
I love those aprons too!
Oh Mauri... must we need an excuse to flaunt those delectable duds? Nay. Lots of love to you and yourn!
Do you remember one year when Melanie and I actually dressed up as 50s housewives for Halloween? We raided the costume box and your mom's closet and came up with some pretty cute costumes. I think that was one of my favorite costumes because I actually felt attractive (as opposed to scary). Anyway, I agree that there is a certain appeal and beauty in the simplicity of that bygone era. I heard Glenn Beck say the other day that we are living the 70s all over again (yuck). Why couldn't it have been the 50s?
I love it. Perhaps you should single handedly bring it back in. I will be sure to compliment each and every apron I see you sporting!
I agree about the dresses. It would be nice to be able to differentiate between everyday dresses and Sunday dresses. But alas, neither my closet nor my budget could handle such a drastic change. I'm even fuzzing the line between winter and summer dresses right now. But just because I want to.
Lovely post.
Hah, I'm going to admit right now that I deleted this post twice because I was apparently unable to spell. Third times a charm, right?
Funny thing, I'm attending a 1950's themed party this Saturday, and I'm currently in search of just this sort of look. Care to join me, dear?
Also: One of my professors (whose brilliance requires me to trust him implicitly--except for that whole atheism thing) claims that "Leave it to Beaver" is unjustly criticized for being overly idealized. He argues that some of the early episodes especially depict a bit more tension and unrest than most people remember. So maybe modern criticism of the 50s isn't as nuanced as it should be. I'm done now. Sorry, just got out of class.
Look what I am doing to your comment count here. You can thank me later.
First Guy Post!
Mauri, I didn't know you still had your blog going! I'll be sure to peek in on you now! You crack me up! Lots o' luv!
You are popular in the comment department! June Cleaver was pretty cool. And classy. It's too bad that society doesn't value the role of an awesome mother, wife, and homemaker.
Wow, I had no idea so many people had something to say about this topic. Melissa, thanks for boosting the numbers--I knew there was a reason we were friends. Add it to the list. I'm very interested to know more about what your intelligent (albeit atheist) professor had to say. Ron, I'm glad you felt the need to poke your head in and be the sole male voice in the group. I'm becoming more and more obsessed with aprons. Perhaps I'll have to devote another post to that topic alone.
Maurianne, I have eight or ten of Grandma Dunn's aprons (that she made herself) in my cedar chest. Have you ever seen them? I used them for a Relief Society fashion show once, but they are too precious to really use everyday. They are all really unique--interesting fabrics and designs. You can borrow them for an Enrichment fashion show/throw-back-to-the 50's activity.
I don't have the same passion as aprons as you but I do have to say I would wear some of those hats everyday. I know this wasn't 1950's but hats like in My Fair Lady or those eccentric ones in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Sweeness, I am all for bringing back the hats.
Here I come from a couple blogs over. I realized after you posted your comment on mine the other day, that maybe that magical link hovering over the text of your name might lead me to where you're lurking. I was right. I can totally see you as June Cleaver. You always did like dresses. And let me tell you, I actually go grocery shopping at 10 am, and Wal-mart isn't such a nut house in the morning. Blessed relief.
I so agree with you. I love the clothes from that era..but then again I never had the size 2 waist..But love the clothes none the less...and your right to solve problems so easy..so it appeared. Cute aprons!! Have you seen AMC Man Men!! Great new series. You would probably love it too! Chris
I had a really hard time locating an appropriate apron. If only I'd encountered this sooner.
Comment #17, baby.
Post a Comment