Sunday, February 10, 2008

Pews of Distinction

As I was traveling home this evening, I saw a large truck drive into our neighborhood. This wasn't out of the ordinary by any means, particularly in a neighborhood that is fairly new and has a lot of construction going on. What caught my eye was the writing on the side of the truck as it passed in front of me: "Church Furniture of Distinction." Sure enough, there was a large picture of church pews next to the verbiage. Okay, it isn't a sight you see every day, but it isn't that unusual considering they are building a couple of new chapels in the area as well. What triggered the irony radar was that today is Sunday. Isn't it a little strange that a company serving the religious population doesn't follow the law of the Sabbath?

I can just see the scene now:
Phil: "Hey, Bob--looks like we've got another fireside going on this evening."
Bob: "Yup. I think we're gonna have to kick people out of church again."

The ensuing scene consists of people standing (if they are deacons, they are running instead of standing) in the snow consuming their punch and cookies after the youth fireside ends 30 minutes early. Good times.

5 comments:

caron said...

Interesting.
There is this car in my work paring lot that says "Get Divorced for Free" and I choke every time I see it.

Marissa Marie said...

That's really funny. Funny that they're working on Sunday. Funny that church furniture is it's own business. As far as standing out in the snow...it was 80 degrees in Phx yesterday!

Melissa said...

That's such a bizarre slogan to choose. Is distinction really the number one thing people are looking for in church furniture? To me, in this context, that word could connote something competitive and/or prideful. How about "Church Furniture of Comfortable Reverence" or "Church Furniture So Cheap You Can Afford to Give More Money to Starving Children?" That's what I want out of my church furniture.

Melissa said...

I'd like to tell you something unrelated to this post, Mauri. That Annie Dillard piece is chillingly good. I just adore her.

Mauri said...

First of all, Santa's little helper, you are no longer allowed to post of basking in the sunlight until I can see the ground again. Dirty snow isn't pretty, and it's making me covet AZ weather. And Melissa, I'm glad you discovered that Annie Dillard article link. I knew you'd appreciate it. Doesn't it just make you want to take a deep breath, pick up a pen, and start composing that Pulitzer-winner that's inside you somewhere?