A little while ago, my sister sent this quote: "Everything was busy making signs of spring, and one could become tired of ice and snow after a while, and so hungry for summer that those first days which were just hints of what was coming were almost better than the real thing when it arrived."
It's from what is probably my favorite children's book of all time--Laddie by Gene Stratton Porter. This is SO how I have felt since January. I'm glad spring is finally showing itself around here. The other day, my roommate and I planted the spring blubs that have been sitting in the garage all winter. Since they started sprouting without dirt, we figured we ought to give them some dirt and light to see what they would do. I'll keep you posted on that one.
Another random note for today: have you ever felt that there is so much you want to do and you just don't have the time or energy to accomplish it? I'm absolutely certain that if I were independently wealthy, I would have no problem quitting my full-time job (as much as I enjoy it) and filling my time at home with other pursuits. Here's my current list of things I'd love to do but don't have enough time for:
- write a children's novel
- change the world by writing societal commentary (in published form)
- be a museum curator--preferably over history
- do my family's genealogy and become an expert genealogist
- learn to sew well
- get a masters degree (one I'm actually pursuing--I'm leaning toward Communications)
- study at one of the great British universities
- read, read, read (the more I read, the longer my book list gets)
- start a magazine
- increase violin skills to be good enough to be in a good symphony
So, what about you, my blog friends (all 3 or 4 of you), what's on your list these days?
12 comments:
FIRST POST!
boo! hiss! Second post!
My list:
*publish a children's novel (since I've written two but lost my momentum)
*catch up on my scrapbooking that's about 1 1/2 years behind
*take a good, long nap
*start a new sewing project
This is one I have to think about, but maybe not too much because it seems the more I think about it the longer the list gets.
* start my own consulting business
* finish the several sewing projects I have started
* I really want to do one of those samplers they did in the old days to practice their stitching
* keep scrapping!
* die my hair blue for one football season
I guess that will do for now. :)
I'm so glad you updated your blog! I like your list. I would want to do some of those things...
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
yes...well, I'd say that given the time and infinite means I would first of all accompany you to the English University, and I'd then buy a home in Cuenca where I'd retire to in pursuit of the creative ambiance necessary to write the great american novel...or just read a few of the greats already in circulation.
or I'd just buy and cook pot after pot of macaroni and cheese. (nothing but the best)
*Hike the Appalachian trail
*Backpack Europe
*Write more (of what interests me)
*Build an excellent home recording studio
*Take drawing/water color classes
*Become fluent in a foreign language
*Work on some calligraphy projects
Let us know how things turn out with your bulbs. There is snow on my daffodils this morning. Dad is driving through a blizzard to get to work. At this rate, your bulbs still have plenty of time to chill and grow. I hope they put the new little lambs in the barn down at Grandpa Jones' pasture. I think March is definately going out like a lion. (Wait . . . didn't it come IN like a lion?)
LAMBS!!! It's been years since I've seen any. I gotta get a place where I can have a ewe...
- travel the world
- read. a lot
- document my life experiences since 1999 (that's when my scrapbooking went down the tubes)
- take classes to learn cool things like glass blowing and wood working and water color paining
- build a house
- go to school again to learn a completely different trade
- learn how to sew well
This is kind of addicting. I probably better stop so I can get back to my real grown up person job :) Remember when it was cool to have one of those?
Okay, so I have been ruminating on this for quite awhile. I have so many things that I would like to do if I had more time and money that it's hard to narrow down the list but here are a few that would be at the top of said list.
--Travel the world and learn about local history and architecture and observe indiginous cultures.
--See the New Seven Wonders of the World and the Seven Wonders of the Natural World
--Read more.
--Go back to school--there are tons of areas that I'd be interested in studying. Graphic design comes to mind.
--Go on an archaeological dig
--Develop some heretofore undeveloped skills...pottery, watercoloring, martial arts, gourmet cooking, etc. etc.
--Learn to play the bagpipes (hey, why not?)
--Learn to play the piano
--Write.
--Learn to fly an airplane and own a private jet for convenient travel to visit our far away loved ones. (it would come in handy for the world traveling too)
I guess that's all I'll write for now. I don't want to bore anyone.
Okay Maurianne, I need an update on your life. New blog post please. :)
Post a Comment