Monday, May 05, 2008

Look Ma, I'm in a magazine!

First things first: the spring bulbs bloomed! Here's a photo of a couple daffodils (taken at night--excuse the quality).

Okay, so it's not exactly the ten thousand at a glance, but it's good enough.
Second, I must apologize for my lengthy absence. I'm not sure where April went. I think it got lost in this pile of boxes somewhere, since I spent a lot of April working out details for the Women's Conference school kits Humanitarian project I helped out with.

My last excuse is that I have recently started taking a statistics class. Before you yell for all to hear "Are you crazy?" Let me explain. After much deliberation, I have, indeed decided to go to graduate school, if anyone will take me. Part of that process for one program I will be applying for is taking an undergraduate-level statistics class. The professor in charge of that program suggested I take it before I take the GRE, since it will help with the math portion of the test. Considering I haven't cracked a math book in 10 years (and my last experience involved getting a big fat 1 on the AP Calculus test--yep, they actually give out 1s on AP tests), I took his advice. The only problem is, instead of enjoying sandy beaches this summer, I'll be calculating standard deviations. I'm not sure what I was thinking.

However, I did try to take Wordsworth's advice this weekend and let Nature be my teacher. I went to the park for a couple of hours while I did my stats homework yesterday. The weather was beautiful and really one of the first outside-weather days I've seen all year. Nature was indeed my teacher, but instead of teaching "truth breathed by cheerfulness," it taught me, once again, that fair-skinned people should stay away from exposure to the sun at all costs. A nice, uneven sunburn is always a good way to start off the season of hotness. Enough on that tangent.

I must say that part of my problem is that one of the last things I want to do when I come home from work is write more. I'm a writer, for heaven's sake. What's my problem? After thinking about this, I've decided that it's because I write or deal with words all day long in my profession, and to be a good, creative, and successful writer, I need to not be a writer 40 hours a week writing something else. I need to be a writer 40 hours a week writing the great American novel (ha). I can't really help that situation right now, so I guess the Pulitzer (or Newberry) will have to wait (more of a loud, raucous burst of laughter this time) until I'm independently wealthy and retired.

Oh, and one more random thought for the day: my face--and shoes--officially made it into the June issue of the magazine. I'm sorry to disappoint you all, but I don't actually have a copy of the magazine just yet, but I've seen it out there. I'll post a picture when I get it for you all to enjoy. I say "enjoy" because the photo they used of me was one I begged the designers not to use, but for some odd reason they loved it. After seeing it, the editor-in-chief came over to my cube and said, "I just saw your photo for the shoe shoot. I've never seen that side of you before." Yeah. I know you're all curious now, but you'll just have to wait for the photo, or you'll have to pick up a copy of the magazine from the newsstand.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

We may have talked about this before, but I also got a 1 on the AP Calculus test. I'm sorry, but I feel better knowing you did too. Misery loves company, eh? I'm excited about your future plans for grad school. You've always got something up your sleeve. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Marissa Marie said...

Yay! I'm glad you posted! Sounds like you've been busy. What graduate programs are you going to apply for? Good luck with stats! It wasn't my favorite class, that's for sure.

NO David! said...

So sorry to hear about the stats. I too will have a statistical nightmare of a summer as I learn (only as much as I absolutely have to) to program SAS in order to crunch my data :{

Heather O said...

WOOO!!! Your shoes and face in the scrappy magazine, now that is a case of real celebation! Good work!

Annie Oldham said...

Congrats on the decision to apply to grad school. I knew you had it in you :) What program are you wanting to do? And I can't wait to see that picture...

Mauri said...

I'm going to apply to the U and BYU in Communications. So, we'll see how it goes, considering my undergraduate isn't in Communications. And sorry about the stats, David. Perhaps we can commiserate together for the short time you'll be here this summer!

Rencher Fam said...

Maurianne- my family just watched the movie Becoming Jane and after it was over we said,"That's going to be Mauri someday!" Please just remember your dear cousin Jenny when you are rich and famous!:)
Can't wait to see the picture. I have visions of you wearing sparkly shoes with a fan blowing your hair all around like you see in photo shoots on TV. :)