Saturday, July 05, 2008

To Go Green

I don't know about all of you, but I'm sure sick of hearing how we can "go green" in our daily lives. (In case you're worried, this is not about global warming or our effects on it.) Don't get me wrong--I believe quite strongly in being a good steward over this earth. We need to be careful of what resources we take and how they are replaced. I personally recycle, and I try to combine trips to save on gas (admittedly, there is a financial incentive there). However, I am tired of this frenzied effort to save every tree we see, and conserve so much energy that we use no energy. I have heard of recent "green" efforts such as hanging up clothes lines to dry all of your clothes instead of using your dryer (saving energy!), washing clothes with cold water instead of warm or hot water, using energy-efficient (albeit dim) lightbulbs, setting your thermostat higher in the summer and lower in the winter, or riding your bike to work.

While all of these are good efforts, and I don't condemn anyone for these practices, it seems that the norm is becoming more extreme. I feel like we're going backward and not forward as far as technology and innovation go. In my opinion, inventions such as hot water heaters, clothes dryers, indoor heating, and cars were invented for our benefit. I hate to see the day come when we have gone back to horse-drawn wagons, wash boards, candles and potbelly stoves (oh wait, those use wood for fire--so not green).

All of this reminds me of the Mannerism movement in art. It was a reaction to the Renaissance, particularly High Renaissance. The Renaissance was literally a rebirth of skill, idea, and talent. It is thought that this was the era when art finally reached, and even surpassed, the perfection found before the Middle Ages. It included artists such as Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo. Instead of continuing the traditions of perfection, the Mannerist artists exaggerated forms and began to make them imperfect and almost not real. In many views, this was a step backward, not forward. Compare "Madonna with the Long Neck" to the anything by da Vinci, such as his sketch "Head of a Woman." There's no comparison.

What does Mannerism have to do with going green? I don't think we've reached technological perfection, but it seems the extremes of going green include moving backward instead of forward, just like Mannerism. It seems with all of the intelligence and information at our immediate disposal, we would have greater and more innovative ways of solving the world's problems other than taking away the innovation that has been the hallmark of our world for the last few hundred years.

I wonder how often in our lives we continuously look backward for solutions to our greatest problems, when what we need is the foresight that will give us that next innovation, and then harness that ingenuity into solving instead of avoiding our problems.

I may completely off on this one, but it was just a thought. But I'll be forming a protest for the day they take away the printing press in favor of handwritten, illuminated manuscripts. That's where I draw the line.

10 comments:

caron said...

I've noticed this, too. I participate where I can, usually fueled by money out of my own pocket rather than a huge concern for the environment, but I agree it's getting a little out of hand. I heard once that the world went from flat to round to flat again because of how wired we are with the rest of the world. Maybe we are going back to round again.
Maybe I'll start making my own paper...

Heather O said...

Agreed. Although I had one thought. Being in the building industry we see a lot of products trying to sell on "green" capabilites. The only ones that I feel are progressing are the carpet companies. They have put expense and new technology into recycling and reusing carpet waste (something that has created some major problems in your local landfill). Anyway some things are becoming better and I too will protest join your protest when they throw Auto Cad out the window to go back to manual drafting and use a lot more paper. :)

NO David! said...

I ride my bike to work everyday because I can't afford gas in the 'vair. An added benefit is my legs now have a larger diameter (statistically significant at p<0.01!). Perhaps because my carbon footprint is now smaller, I've also noticed an added bit of respect from the democrats in the department...

Andrea said...

We noticed when we moved that people here are really into "going green" and recycling and everything. It's good, but at the same time, sometimes kind of annoying.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mauri that the answers to the great problems of our age, environmental or otherwise, more than likely lie ahead of us rather than behind us. This planet could support only so many hunter-gatherers; agriculture made it possible for more people to live in the same space. So what's the next step from where we are now?

My concern is that this question may not become important to people until they are faced with imminent collapse. In this light I have a lot of respect for even "light green" lifestyles that at least recognize the possibility of an eventual calamity.

On the other hand, I get annoyed with the faddish nature of the "Going Green" movement these days, where attention seems to be more on a fashionable leaf label than actually reducing a person's environmental footprint.

Who is making sure that my choosing low-toxicity bamboo furniture is really making a difference? Who is measuring the environmental impact of my hemp watchband? After having to drive all this bamboo and hemp all over the country, have we really made that much of a difference? Maybe, maybe not ... but at least our friends know we are with the Green crowd ...

Unknown said...

The psychotic America-hating nutcase environmentalists that are pushing the "go green" nonsense on us are doing so as you correctly point out for more $$$ in their pockets. I ignore them. I like conserving things because it saves me and my family money. I like annoying the left-wing psycho environmentalists because their "big lie" of man-caused global warming is just that, a BIG lie designed to push their fruit-cake agenda on more people more rapidly.... make no mistake about it, most of America is convinced that glaciers are no longer anywhere on earth and polar bears are eating Big Macs with the bogey man.... It is all so insane it is almost surreal.

Melissa said...

Interesting discussion. I agree that we need to look ahead. Technology usually evolves toward optimum efficiency.

I wasn't familiar with the Mannerists. Fascinating.

Mom said...

I wrote out checks to pay Grandma's bills today. All of those companies invite her to pay online--everywhere I looked, there was the "Go Green" symbol!. Many of them want her to receive her monthly statements online. I balanced her checkbook. The bank wants to send her the statement online. There was some statistic about how many trees are saved by doing this. Grandma is 85 years old, she doesn't have the internet, she won't use a debit card (looks like an evil credit card). I guess it's like the children of Israel--sometimes the older generation needs to die out before new ways are adopted. (Sometimes I fear that I'm also part of the older generation . . . but I think I'm making a little progress and maybe turning a pale shade of green!)

MelanieH said...

Funny thing is, you live in the hot bead of green thinking in Utah. I mean, Daybreak is advertised nationally as as a "green" oasis. (See various "Domino" issues this spring.) Perhaps this is that the real reason you are thinking of moving? :)

NO David! said...

Mom, sometimes I think I am of the older generation as I do not use text messages, own an ipod, etc.
These young whippersnappers with their bofancy, newfangled technowhatsits!

Edit: But I did figure out how to code the italics and bold using html... (flex)