Wednesday, October 08, 2008

I don't get it

So, every morning I get an email from the HR department with a list of people who are out of the office for the day. They also include a "tidbit of the day." Today's was a quote from Stephen Nachmanovitch. I don't even know who that is. Anyway, here's the quote: "The noun of self becomes a verb. This flashpoint of creation in the present moment is where work and play merge." I read the quote, and then I read it again . . . and again . . . and again. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Then I googled it. It seems there are plenty of people out there who think it means something because it's listed on many quote sites and blogs as an inspiring quote. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe I've already wasted enough of my life pondering, and even blogging, about such nonsense.

10 comments:

Heather O said...

Ahhahahaha! I am so glad you posted something about this.
Agreed, you have wasted too much time thinking about it. I know I gave up quickly. :)

Jill said...

Hmmm. I don't really get it either. Frankly it just kind of sounds like the guy that said it was trying to be profound and over shot the mark. All pomp and bluster to try to make a point about work and play that no one really understands... :)

Annie Oldham said...

You mean you didn't know "self" was also a verb? You've never heard the phrase "Go self yourself"? Or "Don't self yourself short"? I'm surprised that you of all people haven't become aware of this growing trend ;)

Olivia said...

I saved myself a lot of time and only read it once:) This post made me smile.

Samuel James Dunn, Esq. said...

yeah so I too read it several times before moving on to the rest of your post because I assumed you were going to pontificate on its eternal significance. I can't even describe my relief when I realized I wasn't a complete ignoramus for not knowing what it meant.

Joella said...

I don't get it either. But maybe Stephen Nachmanovitch just wanted to see how many people would quote him when he was really just spouting words that even he didn't understand. I wonder... :)

Mom said...

I, personally, think it is a wicked and jealous ploy by the HR Dept. to ruin the day off of those lucky enough to be gone from work. Early in the morning they will quickly look at the website to make sure their name is officially on the "day off" list, they will read this quote, they will spend the rest of the day trying to figure it out knowing full well that when they return to work everyone will still be abuzz about yesterday's meaningful conversations around the water cooler that they missed out on . . . and thus, it will ruin their day off. The HR Dept. will be chuckling in glee even as they trudge through their tedious day's duties.

caron said...

Maurianne, that was great. I didn't get it either. But I was dumb enough to try to read it twice before giving up. :)

Melissa said...

I have no respect for a piece of writing that convoluted. Ladies and gents, the emperor is wearing no clothes.

Emily said...

Maurianne, Hi I found your blog through Debra's.. Long time no see! I'm excited to check out your page.. feel free to stop by mine some day. Um..warning..the writing isn't nearly as perfect as yours, but it's fun :) Have a great day!
emilykit.blogspot.com