Friday, June 16, 2006

heaven on earth

So, today we had class at Barnes and Noble in Union Square. First of all, this isn't an ordinary bookstore. Just imagine four huge floors filled with books. We had the main guy over merchandising and one of the buyers talk about their end of the book business. It was interesting to hear because many people who work for publishers see B and N and Borders as the big bad chain store. (At what point do I find it freaky that my life very closely resembles You've Got Mail?) They really rolled out the red carpet for us. They provided morning treats from Starbucks. Wow, their orange juice and bagels are just as good as everyone says they are. Or was it something else they're known for? I can't remember. Anyway, they brought us in before the store opened, and we met in an area they have set aside for readings and author appearances. Afterward, they gave us all a $25 gift certificate. You should have seen the look on everyone's face. Giving free money for books to a bunch of book lovers? It was like the proverbial kid in a candy store.
To top it off, today was research day at all of the independent bookstores as well. It was so we could see where our theoretical books that our theoretical imprint is publishing would fit in. I went to Strand--famed for supposedly having 18 miles of books. Let me just say it was like Sam Weller's times ten. It was seriously cool.
Needless to say, I have bought a book or two in addition to the ones we have received for free while being here. Mom, I think I am going to need to ship some things home . . .

2 comments:

Jill said...

I'm so jealous I'm turning green right now. Seriously though. I'm glad you are having fun!

Melissa said...

Oh, you've been bloggin. I've had fun playing catch up. Thanks for keeping us posted.

I'm torn. I LOVE the big bookstores. I could positively live at Barnes & Noble. But I also feel for those small business owners. Blast, wouldn't it be fun to own a charming little book nook?

I'm glad you're loving NY. Sounds glorious.