Friday, June 23, 2006

whew, half way over

Well, I just finished the first half of the publishing program today. We had our group presentations on the imprint we created. That included presenting our catalog of upcoming titles and our marketing plans for each one. It went well, but we had an interesting reaction from the judges. One of the judges really ripped us apart, and basically told us what was wrong with each title. It was a little harsh, but the information was good. However, another one of the judges praised us to the skies and said he thought our imprint had some really good titles and plans, and that he loved it. As it is, we didn't take first place, but we did get an award for our lead title, Generation whY Me: Most media potential, which can create bestsellers, so we were excited about that.
Today after our wine and bagels (man, the alcohol sure flows freely around here), we got our reading material for the Magazine section starting on Monday. Let me just say, it's going to be just as busy, if not busier. I now have two of the largest binders I have ever seen full of reading materials. I am excited, though. There are people from some pretty big magazines coming: People, In Style, Better Homes and Gardens, Martha Stewart Omnimedia, Reader's Digest, and the list goes on. It will be good. I don't really get much of a break because there is quite a bit of reading for Monday, and I still have to finishing the oh-so-scintillating book, The Magazine Publishing Industry. A weekend of reading--at least it's better than spending the time outside in the heat and humidity. Man, that isn't very fun.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Congrats on making it half way. I'm fascinated by this little jaunt of yours. Let's get together when you're home, so you can fill me in on all the details.

Two additional items:

Item 1
I'd also really like to see the picture your dad is describing.

Item 2
I'm pretty miffed because I just missed seeing your sister at a small get-together thrown by a mutual friend. Blast!

Mauri said...

You know what? As much as I like being up on the latest fashion, I feel bad when everyone gazes at me enviously. I just don't want everyone else to feel bad when they know they missed setting the trend on this one. But you know, I think this may be just the fashion craze to start in Utah. People would go wild over it out there. InStyle and Vogue would be all over it. Melissa, it's up to you. By the time I get home, it will be old news. Be brave; be a hero! Start the trend where it will change the face of western culture and cause unity among the factions of our society. I know you can do it!

Melissa said...

I don´t know if I could manage it properly without having you model it first.

I´m just saying.