On top of that, I was cooking some quick dinner last night--some good ol' Mac and Cheese. I'll admit I have a weakness for the stuff. Perhaps it stems from being raised on it as a child. There's an interesting resurgence, it seems. You can read about it on Blueprint's blog from a little while ago. But I digress. As I was sitting in the living room waiting for the proverbial (or perhaps literal) pot to boil, my roommate and I heard this loud noise and looked around to see a large blow-torch-like flame spewing from the burner. My reflexes weren't quite as fast as my roommate's, who ran to the kitchen just to see the flame die back. All that was left was a smoldering, red spot on the burner where it also melted, a pot with a pretty good scorch mark, smoke and smoke alarms beeping, and a horrible stench. She quickly turned off the burner, but the light indicating a surface unit is in use was still on. So we decided to unplug the possessed oven to keep it from swallowing us whole. Here are a couple of pictures to prove the event happened.

(This is the offending burner)

(and the pot that had to suffer through the ordeal)
The fire department didn't actually come (but it makes for a good title, doesn't it? Thanks for that, Heather). But needless to say, we are now ovenless until we inform the manufacturer just what we think of their product. The funny thing is the oven is relatively new. My roommate bought the place and moved in in June. Everything was brand new at that point.
Thank goodness today is Friday. I don't know if I can handle much more of this kind-of drama in my life.
4 comments:
Gosh, some people have all the fun. (Glad you all are ok)
You don't have any battle wounds do you?
That's funny. I mean, not really, but who knew stove tops could go berserk like that? When I lived in Cleveland we had a gas stove top, the kind you use a lighter with...that was interesting sometimes...
looks like you pulled those pics off of flickr to me.
Post a Comment