Thursday, November 19, 2009

Wow

There are few things that bring as much joy in my second round on campus as the letters to the editor. This one particularly caught my eye this week. There are just no words for this. I've been waiting for a really great reply. So far, they are just the standard "women are great" replies, but one can hope.

2 comments:

Joella said...

Dear Capable Woman,

You are right, I do not need to have a man open a door for me to feel my worth. You are right, I am not "behind" a man--I am "next" to a man. However, I think you are missing the whole point. A man shouldn't open a door for me because I am a "damsel in distress" a man should open a door for me because it is a sign of respect for women. Men and women are equal, but don't forget that they are also different--which is an eternally good thing. Therefore do not try to make me the same as a man. Let me celebrate that I am a woman, and let those men in my life celebrate with me--and show their respect by opening those doors, paying for those dates, and buying those diamond rings. I am a woman, and I enjoy being treated as such.

Thank you,

Joella Peterson

Joella said...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself! :)